Water Damage Tips
Before professional help arrives to assist with your water damage, there are steps you can take to ensure your safety and minimize the damage to your belongings. Please read through these water damage tips!
- If possible, eliminate the source of water. This may mean turning off the main water valve.
- Ensure your safety. If any ceilings are sagging, stay out of those areas until professional help arrives.
- Avoid the possibility of electrical shock. Turn off the circuit breakers that supply electricity to the affected areas. Unplug and remove electronics and small appliances if it is safe to do so.
- Remove standing water using a wet/dry vacuum. Do NOT use a standard vacuum for water removal.
- Remove furniture if possible, or protect flooring from color bleeding by placing plastic under the legs of furniture. Place curtain bottoms in plastic bags or loop them through a hanger and attach to the curtain rod to avoid permanent water stains.
- Remove any breakable or moisture-sensitive items from the area.
- Be sure to wash your hands after handling wet items. Depending on the source, water can carry contaminants.
- If the water damage is sewage related, do not use fans or air conditioning/heating as this may spread contaminants.
Nationwide 24/7: 866-98-SUMMIT AZ: 602-595-5977 IL: 815-977-9941