Available 24/7 (602) 595-5977

Storm Insurance Check-Up

Monsoon Storm Damage Hits the East Valley
August 30, 2015
We’re Hiring!
October 29, 2015

storm damage

Are You Covered Enough for Storm Damage?

The monsoon season is starting to wind down, and if you managed to avoid storm damage to your property, odds are you know somebody who wasn’t so lucky.

Unfortunately, many property owners don’t know the exact coverage details of their insurance policies; it’s best to double check your property coverage before you actually need to file a storm damage claim.

We do a lot of storm damage restoration, and it’s always heartbreaking when a customer finds out that their policy won’t cover the repairs required to fix their home or business.

Do yourself a favor, and take a few moments to look at your homeowner’s or business owner’s insurance policy and make sure you’re ready for those last monsoon storms of the season.

Next year, as our Arizona monsoons fire up again, you can relax knowing if the worst happens, at least you’ll be covered.  You may want to also consider adding flood insurance if you don’t already have it!  It’s a cheap alternative to losing everything and incurring the cost of repairs yourself.

Here are a few things to consider:

  1. Many policies state that if a swimming pool overflows during a storm and water enters a residence, not even flood insurance will cover the damage to the residence.  Often there is an exception to this rule if the pool overflowing was part of a bigger inundation which also affected adjacent property.
  2. If your car is parked inside your garage, you do NOT need to file a homeowner’s claim.  Your auto insurance covers damage to your vehicle no matter where it is parked.
  3. There are two types of extra coverage that limit the out-of-pocket costs of rebuilding after a major storm.  One type covers reconstruction costs to comply with building code changes that have occurred since the original construction of the home (often referred to as “law coverage” or “building ordinance coverage”. The other type is called an “inflation guard endorsement”, and this coverage protects the homeowner against increasing construction costs due to the scarcity of materials and labor that are common after widespread storm damage.
  4. If your neighbor’s tree falls on your property and causes damage, their insurance policy will cover the damages.

If you aren’t sure about the coverage contained in your policy, be sure to speak to your insurance agent right away.  They will advise you what is needed to make sure you don’t have to pay out of your own pocket should damage occur in your home or business.

Phone numbers for the major insurance companies can be found here: Insurance Company Contact Info